My wife and I are always on the hunt for new recipes, especially those that involve chicken since we eat chicken more than any other meat. The great thing about chicken is that it is basically a blank slate and takes on any flavor you throw at it. It makes it the perfect base for Mexican food and especially this habanero lime chicken salad.
I found similar version of this recipe that involved siriracha but I took it a step further and used a habanero hot sauce as my spice base. Use whatever hot sauce you enjoy but I would urge going slightly spicier than your average since once the spiced chicken is mixed into the salad it loses some of its heat.
Habanero Lime Grilled Chicken Salad
- 2 organic chicken breasts, the thinner the better (or use chicken breast tenders in order to get thinner pieces)
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1/8 Cup Olive Oil (I used jalapeno olive oil for added heat but it’s not necessary)
- 2 tsp. habanero hot sauce (or substitute your favorite hot sauce)
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 4 Cups chopped lettuce (I used romaine since it serves as a nice crisp base)
- 1 Cup grape tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup diced red onion
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 1 avocado cubed
- 8 slices of pineapple
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey
- 1/4 Cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix marinade and marinate chicken for a good hour or so in the fridge.
- Heat grill. Once heated grill chicken until cooked throughout. Grill pineapple slices until tender (about 3 minutes per side).
- While grilling, chop lettuce, dice tomatoes and red onion and cube avocado. Combine together in bowl.
- Mix dressing together to taste. Some people like more lime than others. If you want more spice try adding a dash of your hot sauce. You could even dice up some fresh cilantro and mix that in if you like. It’s your dressing, do what you want!
- Once chicken and pineapple are done, slice chicken and dice up the pineapple making sure to remove the core.
- Combine the chicken and pineapple with other salad ingredients, drizzle the dressing over the top and you are good to enjoy (preferably on a nice sun-drenched patio or balcony).
This grilled chicken salad is so simple and easy to throw together even I could do it. Enjoy!